Monday, December 13, 2010

Beauty

A friend shared this on my local ICAN and it really resonates with me.

"I just finished the book, "Little Bee", by Chris Cleave. It is about a Nigerian
refugee and an English woman. It is a great book. There were two very touching
paragraphs that made me think of my ICAN ladies, so I wanted to share them with
you. In this part, Little Bee, the Nigerian woman is in a detention center and
she is speaking to the reader:"

"On the girl's brown legs there were many small white scars. I was thinking, Do
those scars cover the whole of you, like the stars and moons on your dress? I
thought that would be pretty too, and I ask you right here to please agree with
me that a scar is never ugly. That is what the scar makers want us to think. But
you and I, we must make an agreement to defy them. We must see all scars as
beauty. Okay? This will be our secret. Because take it from me, a scar does not
form on the dying. A scar means, I survived.

In a few breaths' time I will speak some sad words to you. But you must hear
them the same way we have agreed to see scars now. Sad words are just another
beauty. A sad story means, this storyteller is alive. The next thing you know,
something fine will happen to her, something marvelous, and she will turn around
and smile."

I know it's been a LONG time since I've updated about my scar progress, but I've been in a different place in my head. I promise to write more here soon.

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete